A fire extinguisher is a fire protection device used to extinguish or control fire, usually in emergency situations. There are multple types of fire extinguishers that specialize in extinguishing certain types of fires. The five types of fire can be classified as A, B, C, D, and K.
- Class A - Ordinary combustibles: wood, paper, rubber, fabrics, and many plastics
- Class B - Flammable liquids & gases: gasoline, oils, paint, lacquer and tar
- Class C - Fires involving live electrical equipment
- Class D - Combustible metals or combustible metal alloys
- Class K - Fires in cooking appliances that involve combustible cooking media, vegetable or animal oils and fats